Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Position type: Full-time exempt
Benefits: 22 days of annual paid time off which may be used for any purpose (sick, vacation, etc.); 9 paid holidays plus 2 additional floating holidays per year; optional medical, dental, and vision insurance with 75% premiums paid by employer; SIMPLE IRA savings plan with up to 3% match immediately vested; paid parking when applicable; mileage reimbursement when applicable.
Start date: The new Executive Director may be able to start as soon as they are able, with an ideal start date by early May
About A Step Ahead Chattanooga
A Step Ahead Chattanooga (ASAC) is a growing and dynamic nonprofit whose mission is to remove barriers to contraception through education, outreach, and access to free birth control. We envision a world where women become pregnant on their terms, enabling them, their families, and communities to thrive.
ASAC provides education, information, and access to birth control to any woman living in our tri-state, 18-county service area who wants it, for free! With donations from individuals, companies, and foundations, we make sure that clinical services cost women nothing out-of-pocket. If needed, transportation is covered too.
In addition to connecting women to birth control, we also provide outreach and education. We’ve got a team of health educators and peer-to-peer outreach ambassadors who equip youth with the knowledge and ability to make healthy choices about their bodies, health, and relationships.
Summary of Position
The new Executive Director of A Step Ahead Chattanooga will be responsible for leading and supporting their team in day-to-day operations, fundraising, and project management that makes achieving our mission possible while working strategically to grow our reach and impact. You’ll be successful in this role if you’re a dynamic leader who can maintain a focus on the big picture and long-term goals of an organization while coaching and developing a strong team.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a professional with proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience who also could get choked up by a touching client testimonial or a gallant effort by a staff member.
Our ideal next Executive Director is flexible, adaptable, empathetic, and continuously learning. They can inspire a team (even from the other end of a computer screen!) and can develop meaningful relationships with their colleagues, community leaders, donors, and volunteers.
They can dream about the big picture while creating and improving systems and processes to keep everything running smoothly. Their passion for working in the non-profit sector, and for womens’ issues, is palpable, and they’re consistently coming up with new, innovative ideas to take our organization to the next level.
- Attract, engage, develop, and retain top talent for ASAC roles including full-time employees, part-time employees, and contractors
- Develop and maintain a positive work culture (including with team members who are working remotely)
- Support staff in developing skills to excel in their roles
- Seek and advance opportunities for the organization to increase its impact
- Serve as the public face of the organization
- Maintain the organization’s financial sustainability
- Lead the team in implementation of the strategic plan
- Oversee grant management (working with contractors and team members to adhere to grant requirements)
- Project management – keep multiple projects and programs moving forward simultaneously
- Ensure programmatic excellence through strategic oversight and effective systems that track and measure successes
- Effectively communicate program milestones and successes to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Effectively manage a complex nonprofit budget
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the ASAC brand and reputation
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors
○ serve as ex-officio of each committee
○ seek and build board involvement
- Communicate and, when appropriate, collaborate with directors of other A Step Ahead affiliate organizations
- Oversee development and fundraising; support Director of Donor and Volunteer Relations in engaging a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong leadership skills including:
○ The ability to hire and onboard effective team members
○ The ability to compassionately lead, inspire, and engage a diverse team, even when working remotely
○ The ability to draw out and incorporate team members’ ideas and make each team member feel valued and trusted
○ A strong ability to delegate
- Ability to lead an organization through a period of growth
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate others to unite around a cause
- Ability to utilize a variety of digital tools including Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Slack, and Zoom
- Proven ability to confidently and effectively manage a budget
Standard office hours are 9am-5pm EST. Occasional work will be required after hours or on weekends (events, speaking engagements, fundraisers, etc.) Currently, the team is remote, but the ED will be expected to come to the office once or twice a week.
Our Hiring Process and Timeline:
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants who send their resume and cover letter by March 19, 2021 will be considered for the first round of interviews.
- We will begin scheduling 5- to 10-minute phone interviews in mid-March.
- We will begin virtual one-hour interviews in late March for select candidates.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round, virtual one-hour interview, and we hope to make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like the selected candidate to start by May 1, 2021.
A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please. A Step Ahead Chattanooga is an equal opportunity employer.